The Primary Examination consists of study and examination in the areas of: Anatomy, Histology, Physiology, Cell Biology & Biochemistry, Pathology and Microbiology. The aim is for Candidates to demonstrate an understanding of the fundamental principles of the basic sciences and more importantly, their relationship to clinical dental practice.
The exam is in two parts:
- six (6) two-hour written papers with two subjects scheduled on each of three consecutive days
- viva voce examinations of ten (10) minute duration are conducted in each of the six (6) subjects. The focus is on the Candidate’s ability to effectively communicate knowledge.
Successful Candidates with a dental qualification will be eligible to proceed to the Final Examination for Fellowship.
1. Candidates are required to have a active Subscription or apply for Affiliate Membership prior to enrolling.
2. Candidates are required to submit a profile photo before checkout. The photo needs to be with light/white plain background and sharp under 5MB.
3. Candidates who pass at least four (4) subjects in a single sitting will be given credit for the subjects satisfactorily completed.
4. Candidates who don’t have subject credits are required to present for all six (6) subjects at the examination.
5. The examination enrolment fee may be refunded as per the RACDS Refund Policy available on the College website.
6. Enrolment is valid only for the examination sitting to which the Candidate has been admitted.
7. Examination venues may be cancelled at the discretion of the College if the required numbers are not met. Candidates enrolled at these venues will be offered a refund or the option to transfer to another venue.
8. The College reserves the right to otherwise amend the timing and dates of examinations whenever conditions warrant. Where examinations are cancelled or postponed, a full refund of the examination enrolment fee will be issued. The College takes no responsibility for any other costs incurred by the Candidate.
9. Candidates must make themselves available for all days of viva voce examinations. A timetable will be released approximately three weeks prior to the exams.
16 October 2020
Written and Viva voce Examination 2020 Dates:
Written examination: 30 Nov to 2 December 2020
Viva voce examination:
- 9-11 December – AUS and NZ candidates
- 12 December – all Australasia (except for AUS and NZ)
- 14 December – all locations*
Now 100% online
Declaration: By enrolling, I hereby apply to sit as a Candidate for the Primary Examination. I understand that:
- Candidate communication will be primarily by email and it is my responsibility to provide a valid email address and carefully read the information sent to me; and
- I must be contactable by phone and email during the examination period in case of any changes to the timetable.
Privacy Collection Notice