The OMS Handbook contains detailed
OMS Training Program information:
- Key program dates
- Training regions, committees and hospitals
OMS Training email@example.com
FRACDS(OMS) Years Study: Four years (recommended minimum)
RACDS OMS Training Program
The OMS Training Program is designed to provide trainees with sufficient theoretical and practical background to meet all current standards available in Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery in Australia and New Zealand.
Trainees are prepared for a career in clinical practice either in major public hospitals, private practice, or both. In addition, trainees are encouraged to develop competence in teaching and research which are important for a future practice as an Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon.
The Royal Australian College of Dental Surgeons’ Fellowship in Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery (FRACDS(OMS)) is acquired after successful completion of the training program. The minimum time in which training can be completed is four years.
The OMS Training Program comprises a variety of clinical placements at approved training centres, clinical training assessments, courses, a Surgical Science and Training (SST) Examination and Final Examination as well as the four years of accredited training.
FRACDS(OMS) qualification is recognized in both Australia and New Zealand as the registrable qualification for practice as an Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon. The Fellowship qualification is also highly regarded internationally.
Selection for entry to the RACDS OMS Training Program is highly competitive. The essential requirements for application to OMS Training Program include:
Note Please refer to Page 14, A - Section 1, Eligibility Process for Surgical Training in the OMS Handbook for further information on the eligibility requirements of the OMS training program.
- Resident of Australia or New Zealand
- A Dental degree and full registration as a dentist in Australia or New Zealand
- A Medical degree and full registration as a medical practitioner in Australia or New Zealand
- A full year of surgery in general (SIG) whilst occupying a post in a hospital that is approved for surgical training by the Trainee Advisory Committee, or be expected to complete this year prior to the commencement of OMS training.
How to apply
Applications are made to directly the RACDS.
The full list of Application Forms can be found here.
Directors of Training
Prospective OMS Trainees are welcome to contact the Director of Training of the State within which they reside and/or within which they wish to train:
New South Wales & Australian Capital Territory
Dr Bruce Austin - Director of Training, NSW & ACT Training Centre
Tel: 02 9262 9318
Victoria & Tasmania
Dr Jocelyn Shand - Director of Training, VIC & TAS Training Centre
Tel: 03 9654 4844
Dr Paul Sambrook - Director of Training, SA Training Centre
Tel: 08 8222 8225
Queensland & Northern Territory
Dr Ben Erzetic - Director of Training, QLD & NT Training Centre
Tel: 07 3397 5454
Dr Emma Lewis - Director of Training, WA Training Centre
Tel: 08 9474 2133
Dr Chris Sealey - Director of Training, NZ Training Centre
Tel: 64 9 369 5566
|Fellowship in Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery (OMS)
1 January 2017 to 31 December 2017 Fees (in AUD)
|Training, Assessment & Examination
|Application for eligibility for selection for surgical training positions
|Training fee - trainees occupying an accredited/approved post
|Training fee - trainees completing the mandatory research requirements within 6 months
|Application for exemption from sitting the surgical science and training (SST) examination
|Enrolment - SST
|Assessment fee - assessment of eligibility for fellowship examination
|Enrolment - final
|International medical graduates (IMG)
|Assessment fee - assessment of IMG
|Assessment fee - fellowship by assessment for IMG
|Admission to Fellowship
|Annual fee (FY 01/07/16 to 30/06/17)
|Annual fee (FY 01/07/17 to 30/06/18)
- Subscription is valid for a period of six (6) years and is not refundable.
- Fees marked with asterisk (*) denote GST inclusive. Fees marked with pound/hash (#) denote GST free.
- The extension of time for trainees undertaking research is invoiced in 6-month periods. If a trainee extends beyond the first 6-month period, then a further invoice for 50% of the OMS training fee will be issued.
- The annual fee is payable on the 1st day of July each year. All unpaid annual fees by the 31st of August each year will attract a monthly late payment surcharge. Members or Fellows who are elected to Membership or Fellowship during the year will pay a pro rata annual fee based on the whole months remaining in the financial year (FY).
- For more information, please refer to the RACDS Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery Handbook (OMS) and other relevant policies (including refunds) which are available on the website.
Whilst all due care is taken to ensure that all information contained herein is correct at the time of publication, the RACDS makes no warranties in respect of inadvertent errors or omissions. The RACDS reserves the right to revise these fees and other information from time to time, as well as amend the dates of examinations, courses and workshops whenever conditions warrant. Where these activities are cancelled or postponed, a full refund of the fee will be issued. The RACDS however takes no responsibility for any other costs incurred by the candidate in this regard.